POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2008 05:33:27
Message: <48bbb6e7$1@news.povray.org>
>> That's an... interesting move. Still, I guess if you have 100 virtual
>> servers and they all run Windows, you still need 100 server licenses.
>
> Yup. But you'd also need 100 licences if you had 100 seperate physical
> servers, so it kinda works out cheaper to buy a single large server and
> virtualise several 'servers' onto one where possible. Save on power,
> cooling, space in the server room, probably on hardware.

In other words, a company that wouldn't buy 100 physical servers might
consider running 100 virtual servers - so M$ still get their cheque.

> Plus most large
> companies will probably have site-licences so they don't worry about
> buying individual licences like you or I would.

How exactly does that work? I know how I *thought* it worked, but
apparently I'm wrong; I heard one of our head IT guys complaining that
we actually have more Server 2003 Enterprise installations running than
we're "supposed to".

>> However, since it appears that you can actually run real software at
>> almost native speeds, suddenly it becomes far more interesting... ;-)
>
> Most and almost.
> I know that currently SQL Server isn't supported for production usage on
> any form of virtual machine. It may change in the upcoming months with
> HyperV.

"Supported" and "working" aren't the same thing. ;-)

It might be that it *works* perfectly well, but the testing department
haven't assured themselves fully about it yet, so they don't want to
spend time supporting it until they have.

(Theoretically *every* application should work... depending on how well
the VM works anyway.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/